Monday, January 18, 2010

Lasagna Roll Ups

This is a great alternative to traditional lasagna and in my opinion somewhat easier. I usually make a sauce in the morning and let it simmer all day to get great flavor from my turkey meatballs but I didn't have a lot of time on my hands today so I made this easy tomato sauce (the same sauce from my eggplant parm post). This meal is vegetarian friendly.

Super Easy Tomato Sauce:
2 28 ounce cans of whole, peeled tomatoes
2 tablespoons of high quality extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper

Puree tomatoes and transfer to a medium size pot. Stir in olive oil and let simmer for 30 mins. Add salt and pepper to taste. I also added in some red pepper flakes for a little spice.

Lasagna Filling:
1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, finely grated
15 ounce container of ricotta cheese
2 cups of mozzarella cheese, plus some for the top
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1, 10 ounce box frozen spinach, thawed and drained
salt & pepper

Combine all ingredients. Roll into cooked lasagna noodles. Place rolled noodles seam side down in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Cover with 1 cup of tomato sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake covered for 30 mins and uncovered for an additional 10 mins. Serve with remaining sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment