Monday, March 1, 2010

Potato Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup

Sounds like a lot, right? I couldn't make up my mind...do I want potato soup or broccoli soup so after getting a little inspiration from a couple of food blogs and my cookbooks I decided to go for both potato & broccoli (you know I was using the cheese no matter what the main ingredient was).

This soup came together rather quickly and I was completely satisfied with my decision to use both potato & broccoli. The potato really helped with the overall consistency of the soup; made it more creamy (only had to used 1 tablespoon of skim milk). Spring is right around the corner so I really have to make the most of my winter comfort foods. I think I'll try this again in the near future with potato and cauliflower. I'll keep you posted! I had full intentions of making cheesy croutons for the top of the soup but forgot to get a loaf of Italian bread at the store, silly me!

I can't take credit for this soup but I don't really know who to give credit to. I used Martha, Food Network & Tastespotting to come to a final recipe for this soup.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (you can use olive oil if you're trying to be a little bit healthier)
1 medium size yellow onion
3 small heads of broccoli, chopped
2 medium size Idaho potatoes, cut into small pieces
4 cups of chicken broth (vegetable broth if you want to keep it vegetarian friendly)
1 1/2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1-2 tablespoons of skim milk (you can add more or less depending on you preference)
salt & pepper

In a dutch oven melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent (about 8 mins). Do not burn the onion! Add broccoli, potatoes, chicken broth, & a dash of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer until vegetables are fork tender (about 15-20 mins). Once vegetables are tender transfer to a blender and puree in batches (an immersion blender would do the trick too). Return puree to dutch oven over low heat. Stir in cheese, milk & salt/pepper to taste. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment