I can go on and on about this cutie but I'll get moving to the recipe...
I always keep panko on hand. I actually favor panko compared to breadcrumbs and usually substitute panko when breadcrumbs are called for in a recipe. I find they taste and work better. This meal wasn't planned but I had all the ingredients in the house and had it on my 'to make' list for quite some time. It ended up being really tasty. Another home run from Martha! I think the next time I make it, I'll make them buffalo style!These are great for a crowd too.
Panko Crusted Chicken Bites: Martha Stewart
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and fit with a wire rack. Spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- Place flour in a large bowl and season very generously with salt and pepper. Whisk eggs in another large bowl with 2 tablespoons water until well combined. Place the breadcrumbs in a third large bowl, and drizzle with olive oil; toss to coat. Stir in cheese and cayenne and mix well.
- Place chicken pieces in the seasoned flour and toss to coat. Working in 3 batches, shake off any excess flour from chicken pieces and transfer to egg mixture; stir to combine. Transfer coated chicken pieces with a slotted spoon to the breadcrumb mixture and toss until completely coated. Place the breaded chicken pieces on a rack-lined baking sheet, spacing them evenly apart. Repeat process until all the chicken is breaded. Bake until golden brown and chicken is cooked through, 18 to 20 minutes